• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Stabilator (Elevator) Trim Issues post GFC500 install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question to the Group...

I recently had the whole dash replaced with new avionics and such, we installed the GFC500 Auto Pilot. They replaced the servos and we added the 4th YD servo. Anyway the issue I am experiencing is that now the airplane (PA32RT-300T) will limit out on the nose down trim in cruise flight.
At basically full trim nose down the plane will settle in at level flight at 65% cruise, at 75% cruise it will not. I think the AP is using elevator to keep it there because I can feel the trim wheel and it stays stationary. If I want to descend any (+_ 300fpm) I have to slow my airspeed down because I cannot trim down any more. Otherwise the Yellow Trim Down caution message shows on my PFD GI275. (which after looking it up means trim down is maxed out). Before the upgrade we could trim the airplane for a 600fpm decent in 65% cruise power and not limit out, it was close but not really if that makes sense.

Here is the head scratcher, the trim indicator between the seats looks good for take off settings and such.
Another related issue is that on final when I use the electric trim to nose up about 1/4 mile out I get what feels like a little slip in the trim and then I have to trim down because the plane acts like it just wheelied back a little (I can repeat this condition every time).

Other work they did while in annual at the same time as the upgrade was tightening the control cables and replacing a few pulley wheels that had worn out.

I'm thinking that they didn't level and adjust the elevator after the control wire repairs before adjusting the trim limits.

Any thoughts, could it just be that we were previously flying with loose control cables and need to get use to the new feel. I am under the impression that you should have plenty of trim to level the plane in cruise and for a controlled decent.

Latest posts

Back