• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Whelan position lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Em1

Reaction score
I installed landing, taxi, strobe and position LED lights in December 2014; from Whelan. So far I generally love them. However, I just did a preflight on a 17.5 hour round trip cross country and noticed something odd. If you look at the detail of the bulb in a position light, there are like seven very tiny (think 3mm by 3mm) squares that light up either red or green. What I noted is that on my green light, only four of those little squares were lighting up. And that light was not nearly as bright as the red. And it didn't seem to be just the number of squares impacting the brightness but also the squares which were lit didn't seem as bright either.

A couple questions from the forum wizards:

1) Has this ever happened to you? If so, did it self resolve or did you replace the light?

2) If you replace a Whelan light, the overall unit has both a strobe and a position light. Do you have to replace the whole combination with glass covers, housing bracket, and the bulb/little LED lighting up squares or can you just replace that bulb part of the units?

3) Do you normally look for a retailer who carries Whelan or do you order directly from the manufacturer?

Latest posts

Back