• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Think twice before going all glass...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I like new toys as much as the next person, one look as my spending would remove any doubt. But I'm getting tired of the high failure rate of the new stuff. I'm really not inclined to ever remove the factory dinosaur engine gauges like I foolishly did in the Aerostar. Yea, it looks great and I removed a bunch of tubes, hoses, wire, etc., but twice now I have been stuck with transducer failures that leave a big flashing zero on the gauge... First time it was the hydraulics, it was obvious the pump still was doing it's thing because stuff still worked; this time it was the oil pressure on #1. Again I knew the problem probably wasn't the engine because the prop still behaved normally, but it's rather unnerving to see "0" on the OP tape and the master warning flashing in your face! A quick air test back in the hangar confirmed the gauge does indeed show zero regardless of the pressure applied to the sender. AC Spruce in conveniently located their new store between my house and the hangar, and has new transducers in stock. That alone tells me something about the reliability of these things, especially considering they have more than one on the shelf!

When I warmed over the dash in the Lance a few years ago one of the additions was an engine monitor, however I did elect to retain the factory original gauges. Good thing, three times now the system has had to go back to the manufacturer for repair. I give the folks high marks for their promptness and covering the repair and the freight, but still if it wasn't for the old gauges I would have been stuck.

Don't get me wrong, I like new stuff, if I didn't there wouldn't be a G500Txi, 750, and new AP sitting by my desk just waiting for me to get up the gumption to do the install. I will however make sure if and when I get the dreaded red X's, there is at least enough "legacy" stuff remeing to get me home.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back