• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

oil filter caution light at 18 hours into oil change.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
Important note: My airplane has a set of Oberg 600 25-micron oil screens made by ADC (out of business now).

Because they're full-flow and not the same media density as a typical paper filter, they have a much lower filter capacity than a standard paper filter, so the filter setup is fitted with a sensor that detects when the bypass port opens.

That happened to me yesterday on a return flight, approximately 4 hours after minor/major maintenance, and I'm wondering others thoughts on this.

I opened the oil filter up, collected the oil, and cleaned the filter media per instructions with the "wash" going into a clean white rag for inspection.

The filter was clearly dirty.

after the solvent was dry I was left with the residue of what was trapped in the filter itself. I didn't find any silver pieces or anything that was reflective. Most of it looked like carbon. There were a few flecks of silicone which was expected. With a magnet I was able to discern that there was some steel/iron content, but it appeared brown/black and was indiscernible from the carbon.

There was enough there to dirty the head of a small pen magnet like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/318K3JBVG9L._SX300_.jpg

I know few probably have limited experience with this type of screen, but I'm wondering if anyone has done a magnetic test like that with their filter media and found it normal to find some magnetic "dust" ?

I didn't recover any metal silvers. The only sizable pieces I had was the silicone silvers.

Prior to this weekend the airplane has been down for a month, with just two ground runs during an engine monitor install, and the starter adapter had it's spring replaced. No other changes. Last oil change I went ~45 hours and never had an oil caution light indicating bypass.

My gut reaction is to just keep running the engine and if I get into oil bypass again before 25-30 hours since oil change (7-12 hours away) I know I've got a problem. My first inclination is to chuck this up to the inactivity of the engine for the last month plus the starter adapter removal/install.

Should I do that? or would you call the metal dusting in the filter more of a red alert situation? I can take a photo of the rag and post it as well, but not sure of the value of that given camera resolution.

Not sure if I'm being paranoid here given that we just had a major engine component off of the accessory case.

Latest posts

Back