• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

New Saratoga!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCF18

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, finally!! After a long 19 month search that seemingly took more twists and turns than a B horror movie, we have found my bird. Papers are signed, inspections are complete, and just waiting for final closing and the panel upgrades. I worked with Larry Russell at Bartelt Aviation starting in August of 2015, and the search initially started looking for a straight tailed Lance. Found 2 that looked great by logbook scrubs and pics. The first one needed over $40K of work to make it airworthy. The second one we lost count at $45K, but rudder skins still needed to be pulled to investigate an onerous crack and we figured it wasn't even worth looking. Nothing else even tickled Larry's discerning eye on the Lances, just too much risk for what people were asking price wise. As Larry said we were looking for the "right" airplane, not the right now airplane.

The long wait allowed me to stalk the forums, read everything I could get my hands on about maintenance and engine management, and really come full circle on my thinking. Engines don't magically die at TBO right, and why pay for hours on an engine that I may never get? An airplane that had been priced just a bit out of my range with 1700SMOH on it suddenly became a target as the owner adjusted his price over the many months. It was immaculate inside and out and the owner had spent over $30k on the last annual getting it straightened out. We had the cylinders, cam, and lifters borescoped and they looked great. Oil filter clean....no leaks, no issues in the oil analysis, and ran like a top on the test flights. Hmmmm. So get an 81 Turbo Saratoga SP, not pay for an engine that looks like it is capable of going strong for a while, have it be straightened out, and priced where I can add the avionics upgrades I want and be under budget? SOLD!

Now we just gotta find a spot in the AVI shop to get the old Comm/Nav/Audio panel/MX20 out and put in the GTN 650, GMA 350C, GTX-345, upgrade the EDM 700 to an 830, and add Century GPSS / USB power to the pilot side in. I will keep the KX-165 for Comm2. I would have loved to throw in an Aspen, but it just didn't make much sense with the gyros/HSI working fine and not knowing where NORSEE is headed. With the Century 41 and the GPSS coupled to foreflight on the IPAD, I will be more than okay. Hell, this beats the hell outta anything I had in the Hornet integration wise. I can can use the GPS to kill folks, but can't use it for approaches....TACAN / GCA only, and uncoupled at that unless I am at the ship!

Short story long I know, but I am so excited to finally be able to get the right bird in the hangar. This couples nicely with my retirement this summer and taking the show on down to Tampa for the next adventure. I plan on running nice and cool, LOP all the way if it will let me at 65%, use the 830 to it's full capacity, and keep an eye on the oil filter, analysis, and usage rate. Scope things for confirmation of internal health when needed and run till the engine tells me otherwise, however long that is. I learned that from listening to all of you over the last two years, thank you!

Okay, to the pics... I hope these things attach okay, it is my first rip at it.

img.axd-15.jpg

img.axd-8.jpg

img.axd-14.jpg

img.axd-13.jpg

img.axd-2.jpg

img.axd-7.jpg

img.axd-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back