• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Loaning a plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartmc

Reaction score
I have a friend, he went up with me a time or two, then went to my CFI and got his license.... I trust his training and judgement. He's a 70ish hour PPL and will purchase a plane within the next year or so (He's got "the itch"). I never offered for him to fly my plane mainly because he rents my CFI/A&P IA/Hangar Owner/The dude who save's my ass daily on flying and maintenance's plane who my flying career and airplane ownership is 100% in debt to and I don't want to step on his toes. So, my buddy is wanting to take some multi-day XC flights this summer with his wife (i understand his problem), this is his first summer with a PPL in hand and I know he's ready to go places, I trust his flying ability and judgment. My CFI doesn't let his rig go for multi day trips because it's his primary trainer (he has one other complex/RG plane that my buddy still needs 90 hours to be checked out in) and the other FBO in the area wants around $400/day minimum flying or not to take theirs when/if it's available. So, I'm thinking of letting him use my rig for a couple to few XC flights this summer. My/our CFI would have to give me the OK and check him out in it as item number 1. I have insurance that covers any PPL holder, and he has renter insurance.

My questions are, is mine and his insurance enough, should I call and add him as a "named pilot"?
Should I look at his policy/have my insurance look at his policy for everybody's interests?
What should I charge him? I'm not looking to make a profit and I'm thinking max 10-15 hours that he'll use the plane? For all his "regular around the patch stuff" he'll rent my CFI's plane, this would only be for multi-day XC trips where that isn't possible.

Latest posts

Back