• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Dead G5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midsouthps

Reaction score
During runup, smoke started coming from behind the panel in my wife's 172N. We were running a portable AC via the cigarette lighter socket for the first time. I presume that caused the problem. We unplugged it and after a few seconds, the smoking stopped. However, a small hot piece of round metal hit my wife's foot (under the G5 HSI). The HSI is dead. However, with power off, the power button and ring around the selector knob are staying lit up (with battery power). Does the G5 have a built in fuse that may have blown? Is the G5 dead forever? Any ideas? My best guess at this point is that we overloaded the circuit for the cigarette lighter, the CB did not trip, wires melted and grounded/fused with the wiring to the G5?????????

Latest posts

Back