• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Request all elect guru's insight: can I use a 20A rocker switch/cb instead of a standard relay for switching the main buss power to the avionics bus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am upgrading a PA28R-200 avionics panel. Looking for feedback if anyone has used a 20A rocker switch (power on) connecting the avionics buss via a 20A CB AKA toggle cb which will be powered from the main buss. The current relay that currently is installed is a normal closed (part#150-905) relay. I need to have the switch powered (power on) to connect to the avionics bus. I understand the need for having backup power for Comm, Nav, and lighting (night flt) should the avionics buss fail. Most likely it is not an issue since the G5's have their own battery I carry a headlamp and a portable radio with an external ant port available. If I go the extra security, I could also add a back up switch(battery essential) to power those items to ensure I've covered the alternator/bus fail switch scenario.

The following are on the avionics Buss-
2 G530W (comm1&2- Nav1) 2-10A cb &1 5A cb
2 G5's -ATT& HSI 2-5A cb
1 turn&bank 5A cb
1 xponder& encoder 3A cb
1 PMA audio panel 5A cb
2 stratus USB- 2-4A cb
1 GAD 5A cb
1 G106A nav 2 5A cb
1 KN 64 dme 5A cb
1 Flt Stream 210 1A cb
1 GFC 500 A/P 7.5 cb
total of 15 cb's - 79.5 Amp's/ 60amp alternator
Can 20A CB carry the load when switching on the rocker after the engine starts and Alternator is powering all the electrics?
My switch panel utilizes all 20A rocker switches and for aesthetics not looking to add a toggle/CB of higher Amp rating unless absolutely necessary. Also, am trying to avoid a relay.
Please share your thoughts on any possible solutions/combinations or suggestions you might have completed with your panel upgrade. Thx.

Latest posts

Back