• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

PA28R Gear extending problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello forum members,

my name is Patrick, I am from Germany, located 30NM north of Hamburg.
I operate a PA28R - 200 from 1971. After an avionic upgrade I have problems with extending the landing gear. During this avionic upgrade it stood still for several months. I am sure that the error has nothing to do with the avionics, however...This information is just to get an overall picture, but before that the gear made never problems.

The error does not occur every time, which makes it difficult to find the exact problem. I had 10 cross country flights without any problems and last week i made 8 takeoffs/landings for training where i had 3x landing gear issues.

Now to the error:

Landing gear lever down, the left wheel extends approx. 20 degrees, the nose wheel and right landing gear do not extend. After operating the landing gear lever, the ammeter shows movement for 1-2 seconds. The "Gear in transition" display shows nothing.

Knowing that the landing gear is not extended, logically because "3 Green" is not lit, I push the landing gear lever up again. Then the "Gear in transition" indicator immediately lights up until the left landing gear is retracted again (the other two are not extended at all).
If I then repeat the process twice, the landing gear extends without problems in 4 out of 5 processes. For number 5, I then do the emergency procedure and the gear falls out without problems. Retracting the landing gear never causes any problems when the engine is running at full throttle during takeoff.

I am grateful for any thoughts/your opinions

Kind regards
Patrick

Latest posts

Back