• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Oil temps in cruise - SPECIFICALLY for 2003+ saratoga II TC with NON congealing oil coolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyski

Reaction score
Curious what others are getting in cruise for their oil temps..

I have a 99 II TC which came with standard (congealing) oil coolers and with stock engine and basically any outside air temp >10c I would see a relatively rapid climb in my oil temps to 187-190 and then a fairly rapid fall back to 180-182 as the vernatherm opened up.

I CURRENTLY have a lycoming factory reman at ~60 hours and sourced the NON-Congealing oil coolers (that have a vernatherm built into each oil cooler) that I sourced from pacific oil cooler service, I NOW get fairly rapid climb in oil temps to 209-212 (212 during climb with OAT >80f) and 209 during cruise at ~10k feet, 70% power, OAT 50F) and no decrease in oil temp no matter what the OAT is (have flown as low as -6C and oil temps steady at 209)

I spoke to pacific oil cooler and they said that the vernatherm inside the oil cooler opens around 140F

I believe this is definitely limiting my ability to lean (ROP or LOP) during cruise as my oil temps are 30 degrees warmer on this engine set up, I can never lean ROP more than about TIT 1475 without my #2 CHT being > 390

And... my baffles are new and verified sealing very well

TIA!

Latest posts

Back