• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

GFC500 erratic altitude hold in rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was flying in IMC with light rain and the autopilot started chasing my assigned 6000 foot altitude up and down. At one point I had a 4-500fpm descent to counter a quick 50 gain in altitude. I assume I was getting water drops across my static ports since both the G5 and my analog instruments were bouncing a bit but I would think the GFC would be smart enough to account for these quick static changes?

As a result I looked on the internet for others that may have had this same issue and appears there may be an update to account for this? Has anyone heard of this or know if there is a fw update to correct this? Kind of scary when you get into IMC with rain and the altitude starts going up and down without warning.

1979 Piper Arrow IV
Panel pic is for reference only

Attachments

• E70370B2-3473-44C3-8DEE-32872C4A529A.jpeg
    E70370B2-3473-44C3-8DEE-32872C4A529A.jpeg
    139.4 KB

Latest posts

Back