• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Flying across Canada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in the 70's, I routinely took the short cut between Michigan and New York by cutting across Ontario Canada. As long as one did not land in Canada, you could do it with basic equipment and not even talk to ATC. I may be in a position to make that trip again after all these years, but I am clueless about regulatory or procedural changes that have occurred in the last 40 years. Can someone enlighten me on the current requirements or direct me toward a good source of information?
1. Is a flight plan now required, and if so, is a separate US and Canada filing necessary?
2. Do I need eAPIS even though I'm not landing in Canada (going direct Saginaw to Rochester)?
3. While I have 1090ES ADS-B out and 1 antenna on top, I understand Canada requirements differ?
4. Are you required to be under positive ATC at all times now?
5. Is a Radio operator permit required , and if so, how do I get one for Canada?
6. Should I just plan on going the southern route around Lake Erie?
7. Anything else I should know?
Thanks,
Squito

Latest posts

Back