• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Electrical system overload

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I returned to the airport this morning after I saw low voltage on all my indicators. Here are the facts:

1. Shortly after startup I turned on pitot heat (potential for light ice through a cloud layer)
2. This increased my load to about 34 amps (my normal load is about 15-17 amps)
3. After lift off when I retracted the gear, the load went to 59 amps momentarily (I didn't know this number until I looked at my engine data and saw this is the moment the voltage dropped)
4. During climb out is when I saw the low voltage (11.5-12 volts. Normally 14-14.2 volts)
5 No circuit breakers popped.
6. Reset the ALT switch (I have the split kind) and the voltage would go to normal for about 5 seconds. Tried this a few times.
7. As I told ATC I was returning the autopilot kicked off and wouldn't come back on. Also radios became weak, but they could hear me OK. Shed as much electrical as I could.
8. When I got back to the hangar, I ran the engine up, reset the ALT again and voltage went to normal. As soon as I applied more than a 15 amp load, voltage dropped.

Could I have damaged the Regulator? I have a Zeptronics R1510L that was installed 19 years ago.
I'll start investigating on Thursday, but appreciate any input.
Thanks
Lon
PA32R-301T
TIO-540-S1AD

Latest posts

Back